Welcome to the Internal Medicine Residency Training Program.
Affiliated with the University of Florida, the Internal Medicine Residency Program is under the direct supervision of the Department of Medicine. Residents in our program spend time encountering a very diverse population of patients at our 2 affiliated teaching hospitals; Shands Hospital and the Malcom Randall VA Medical Center.We offer a full 3-year, ACGME-accredited program in Internal Medicine.
- Train future physicians to become lifelong learners and future leaders in clinical practice, education, research, and/or administration.
- Provide an intensive educational environment with a diversity of clinical settings to promote progressive responsibility, graduated autonomy, and team-based collaborative care.
- Offer a versatile training program with various educational tracks and electives to cater to residents’ career passions.
- Educate residents in the principles of high value care, health care disparities, and population health management.
- Engage residents in quality improvement/patient safety initiatives and scholarly research activity.
- Maintain a culture of wellness and esprit de corps where resident support, camaraderie, and mentorship are top priority.
In addition, the program allows residents interested in either basic science or clinical research to expand their skills and knowledge.
The overall atmosphere here at the University of Florida breeds camaraderie, learning, and dedication toward each other and the art of Internal Medicine.
For the past 2 years, the Department of Medicine has received the “Golden Apple Award” for excellent teaching as determined by the senior medical student class.